Saturday, April 26, 2008 9:06pm
So I was hit by a car today...
Current mood: blessed
I'm kind of in shock right now. I was actually hit by a car this afternoon, while I was walking across the street. No, my car wasn't involved in this particular accident. I'm OK (as far as I know), just bruised and sore.
It was in a shopping area and I just left TJ MAXX and decided to grab a sandwich from Subway. I got into my car, and drove to the other side of the shopping area and went in to order my sandwich. As I was coming out the parking lots were FULL of people getting in on the no sales tax weekend. I was just interested in getting the hell out!
So I stood on the sidewalk waiting to cross the road to my car maybe 50 yards away, maybe it was only 20. There were cars to the left and right of me, and one directly in front of me. Everyone was at a standstill. This tells me that I've been given the "go ahead" to cross the road. As I step off the sidewalk, growling stomach, and bag in hand - I was just starving, and wanted to get home and eat my toasted sandwich... I take probably three steps and I see what seems to be a silver blur coming at me. I had two choices... one, turn around and run.... two, pray that whatever may come of this I've told everyone how I feel about them and that I love them. In a split second I turned my hip towards the front of the car and I can see myself being thrown onto the car/windshield, but not before I used my hand/wrist to help myself get onto the hood so I wasn't pulled under the front wheel, then into the air, then finally hitting the ground. I think I may have even yelled, "STOP!" but can't be sure as it was over as soon as it happened. Somehow I managed to land sitting up, legs out in front of me, and stunned completely. I just thought my knee is shattered. My sandwich was in front of me, my keys were about five feet away, and I was still clutching my Prada wallet. I guess you could say that I had my priorities while being hit by a car! The worst thing that I thought is that I won't be able to walk. Everything stood still, I couldn't hear anything, it was total chaos all around me... maybe it was shock. A woman approached me, she told me that she was a nurse and was going to check my vitals... I complied. Then a woman and man approached me, the woman was absolutely hysterical. The man was driving, and she was the passenger. I was on her side of the car/windshield when I was hit. They kept saying that they didn't see me. Maybe they didn't. I think about how I look down for a split second, and look up and see the back end of a car right in front of me thinking how I never saw their taillights. And older lady stood in front of me on the cell phone calling the police. I just kept saying that we didn't need a big production even though I felt like I was just tackled by a half dozen football players minus padding of course! Next thing you know, two Brentwood Police patrol cars pull up. Now I can't believe I almost left the best part out of my drama infused day! When the cop got out he came over to me and asked how I was, of course I was dazed and trying to regroup. He asked for my driver's license, and I just handed him my wallet. He had trouble getting it out, so he just asked if I could remove it. As he got up and turned around a car was trying to pass next to me to get to the next row of parking spaces. He proceeds to yell to "turn around!" then walks to his car and grabs a four foot orange cone and places it next to me. OK, now I feel like a complete and total tard. UNBELIEVABLE! Not only am I in the middle of the road rattled, I now have a big friggin' orange cone next to me!
Then here comes the fire truck, and let's not forget the ambulance. I am still sitting in the middle of the road completely embarrassed. I know, I know… I was just hit by a car.People that I was standing in line with at Subway are all now crowded on the sidewalk; the construction that they're doing on the strip mall, the construction workers stopped working and was standing around staring, EVERYONE stopped working. It was a circus and I was the ringleader!
The paramedics approached me and checked my vitals again. They asked me what hurt. Well, I let my hip take the brunt of the impact when I turned into the car. So my right hip is hurting, but my left knee is in pain. Somehow I suppose when I rolled, I landed on my knee before I landed on my butt. And my right elbow was pretty banged up. I told them that I didn't think I need to go to the hospital, but would do whatever they thought I should do. They wanted to see if I could walk... good idea I thought given that I’ve been sitting in the middle of the road for the last 15 minutes. So one paramedic helped me up and I kind of staggered up to my feet. I began to get a little dizzy, so I was walked to the ambulance. They checked me out again... I had things all attached to me. I recalled hearing that my blood pressure was 136 over 87. Not bad for having just flown through the air! I asked them honestly what they thought. Given that I didn't hit my head, and the impact was on my hip... they said that most would choose not to go. I understood that they couldn't tell me what to do, but I just needed a little direction. I didn’t want to go if I was able to stagger around. So I sat there and decided that I would just take myself home, and should I get "worse" then I'd go to the ER. They suggested that I take some ibuprofen, and maybe take a soak. The police officer gave me my case number card, and said that the couple wanted to see me before I left. I thanked the "crew", got out and headed towards my car. The couple greeted me, gave me their information, and continued to apologize. As we stood talking and exchanging info I realized I was “OK” and that I will probably only have bruises on my hip, knee, and elbow. I just had a lot of adrenaline flowing through me, so I felt “fine.” As we were talking she started to cry. I started consoling her and reassuring her that I was all right and it was OK, that something a lot worse could have happened but it didn't. To be honest, had I not turned my right side of my hip into the car, I would have been hit head on, and probably thrown underneath the front wheels.
Admittedly that's scary and I think a black and blue leg and butt is a lot better result. I kept consoling her, telling her to stop crying and then I kind of laughed at the irony and said, "Hey, you hit me! I should be crying!" I always do this though. I always try to be Superwoman or the “tough girl.”
I got into my car, sat there taking in all of what just happened. I called my mom... for almost 10 minutes before she answered a phone. Then I called Taliesa and completely broke down. I was just hit by a car and lived to tell someone about it. I might cry later after the shock wears off, but honestly, I'm just thankful I'm OK, as opposed to being upset over what might have been... or what I could have left others to deal with!
Sunday morning….
Sunday morning I attempted to go to bed around 1:30 in excruciating pain! Barely able to move I tried to position myself in the most comfortable position, which there weren’t really any. I was too paranoid to really go to sleep, as I didn’t know if I might actually wake up. Finally propped myself up in my bed around 3 o’clock, I dozed off and on until around 5:30 when I couldn’t take the pain anymore. I decided I was going to take myself to the ER. I got up; put myself in the tub, headed to Starbucks (of course!) to get some breakfast, as I didn’t know how long I’d actually be there.
So there is my story for those who have heard pieces of information here and there. This should pretty much sum it up.
Thank you for all of your support. It’s not everyday when you can say that you know someone who was physically hit by a car!

2 comments:
Thanks for sharing your story! What a total blessing that nothing worse happened to you!!!!
- Sharon
So glad you are okay!!! Well as okay as you can be for I know you must be sooo sore. Love you.
Tina
Post a Comment